Monday, October 29, 2007

Bring a Friend Sunday

Yesterday was our Bring a Friend Sunday. For several weeks I had been encouraging our church to pray for yesterday by running a cartoon of another church's misfurtune on their friend day.

(caption reads, "for all you visiting, let me reassure you that the overhead usually works, the lady who water the plants is just on vacation, and the lapel mike is never ordinarily misplaced...")

Well, we had that type of Sunday. Our volunteer teachers for our 3-5 year old class didn't show up. I had several audio-visual things planned-none of it worked. The worship leader changed a couple of songs mid-service with no words for the new songs. In many ways yesterday was not the day I was hoping and praying for. Amy says that God was laughing in my face for putting the cartoon in our bulletin.

However, at the same time when things don't go the way I planned it is for a reason. God is usually demonstrating that he can take something that looks like a train wreck and make something good out of it. We had two men at church yesterday who I don't know have ever been there. One of those men is the husband of one of our Servant Leaders-Ann. In fact, she had not invited him to come with her yesterday. However, she was completely shocked when he woke up yesterday and asked her what he needed to wear to church. Yesterday afternoon when Amy and I were at the hospital visiting Jeremy he was also there and he told me "good sermon." In spite of the train wreck that was yesterday's worship service, God opened his heart received the message from yesterday's worship.

No comments: