Thursday, October 04, 2007

Mountain Top Experience

(the following was written by my wife: Amy)

This past weekend Mack and I had the pleasure of attending Memphis Urban Minsitry’s annual marriage retreat. We along with Linda and Troy represented Wonder City at the retreat. While I can’t tell you about the sessions or what was said (because what happens at the marriage retreat stays at the marriage retreat), what a wonderful time it was to be in God’s presence in the mountains at the retreat with the other couples.. In similar style to the song Have you seen Jesus my Lord, “if you have ever stood on a mountaintop looking at the majestic view – then I say you’ve seen Jesus my Lord.” For Linda and Troy this was their first experience seeing mountains and attending a marriage retreat. While I know Linda well, this was my first opportunity to spend time with Troy. I found out that when he is on the 14th floor of a hotel he gets nervous. That his quiet reserve keeps him laid back and peaceful. That once you get to know him, he opens up and shares some of his story. More importantly I found out that he loves to have fun, he loves beautiful scenery, and he truly loves Linda. In spending more time with Linda, I found that she loves looking at the mountains, she loves worship, and she prays for God’s purpose in her life and in her marriage. While I went to the marriage retreat to focus inwardly on my own relationship with God and my relationship with Mack, I found myself taking the time to continue to build relationships with my brothers and sisters at the retreat. This past weekend I experienced a 9 hour van ride to some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen. I experienced what it is like for someone to face their deepest fear, and was able to help that person through my trust and faith in God. I experienced what it is like to see God in the beauty of his creation. I experienced what it is like to strengthen relationships with my brothers and sisters in Christ. I experienced what it is like to be moved by the spirit in worship. More than anything I experienced a deeper relationship with God by taking the time to focus on him in my life. I have stood on the mountain, in awe of the power of God, and prayed to God that he will continue to be my guide on my journey to the Mountain Top of my life. I encourage you to take the time to be still, to admire God’s beauty in people and in your life, to strengthen the relationships with your Christian family and to focus on the opportunities that lie ahead of you to deepen your relationship with God in your service to him.

No comments: