Friday, October 12, 2007

Busy and Exciting Times

Wednesday I wrote that there are some exciting things awaiting me when I get back to Memphis. Here is a quick summary of some of those exciting things.

  • Last Sunday we had over 60 in attendance. Although I was out of town this past Wednesday night (here at CCDA) I heard there were quite a few there then as well. I know that it has been at least a couple of months since we have had 60 on a Sunday morning.
  • Next weekend we will probably have a few teens who attend the Camp Tahkodah Retreat with our supporting church. This has always been a great time for our teenagers. Each year I have been blessed at Tahkodah to have deep and meaningful conversations with some of teens about their lives and spiritual matters. Two years ago I even had the privilege of baptizing one of them at Tahkodah.
  • Next Sunday, October 21st, those who are at Wonder City will celebrate our 8th Anniversary. Eight years ago on the third Sunday in October Wonder City held its first Sunday worship service. (Of course the work began earlier in 1999 with a block party that spring that lead to a children’s church and a group that started meeting for a prayer and Bible Study on Wednesday nights.) Amy & I weren’t around on that first Sunday. We came in January, 2001. Although we are not planning any special celebration it is a major accomplishment to celebrate 8 years! It has also been a very interesting and fun ride for Amy and I over the past 6+ years.
  • The following weekend on Sunday, October 28th, we will have our first annual Bring a Friend Sunday. I am very excited about this opportunity for several reasons. First, this was not my idea. Nor, was it an idea of anyone from here at our supporting church. This was an idea of one of Wonder City’s church members that other church members bought into. Second, since our members have taken ownership with this idea I am excited to see how many visitors we have that Sunday. I am expecting several people who have never been to Wonder City to be there that Sunday. I am so pumped about this weekend that I have already started planning the worship service and my sermon for that Sunday.
  • The first full week in November we will have our annual Fall & Winter Clothing Giveaway. Although this is not my favorite event, I know that there are those in our community who need the clothes that we provide. I am also excited about trying to work with our supporting church and Wonder City on how we can turn this paternalistic event into one that is more of a partnership between our two churches to serve our community.
  • After the clothing giveaway we will make our turn into the holiday activities—the Turkey Giveaway and Christmas Store. Countless families and children have been blessed through these events that have brightened the holiday season that otherwise would have been much less joyful.

All of this means that it is a very busy time for us at Wonder City in addition to the weekly ministry that takes place. Please keep us in constant prayer as we seek to fulfill the Biblical mandate to bring God and people together.

No comments: