Monday, July 28, 2008

Hair

For several months now Amy and I have been having a discussion about my hair. I have very thick coarse curly hair. When I have gone to soemone to get it cut they often refer to just how thick it is. If I were to let my hair grow it would turn nice tight curly locks. However, I hate my curly hair (I know everyone hates their hair and wishes for soemthing different). For that reason, I have always kept my hair very short--often no longer on top than the thinkness of a persons finger. Amy on the other hand likes my long curly hair.

For a long time I had a hair cut similar to Russell Crowe in the movie Gladiator. In fact, one person even gave me a nickname of "Spaniard" because my hair cut resembled that one so closely. For several years now Amy has been the person to cut my hair. Which is nice for a couple of reasons--its free and no appointment is needed. But on the other hand we are very busy and sometimes my hair will go 3-4 weeks from the point it needs cut until it gets cut.

I have been in the mood for something different and something I can do myself. Understand I wouldn't mind going completely bald. But Amy says, "bald ain't beautiful" unless it is natural. When I mean bald, I mean I would go cream and ravor all the way down to nothing.

So about five to six weeks ago I took out the clippers, put on the #2 guard, and shaved my head down. Amy was furious. She did not like it at all. It was too short. She could see my scalp through my head. It is not attractive to her. I let it grow for a couple of weeks then did it again. This time she didn't say anything. Not much came off so she might not have noticed. Then about a week-and-a-half ago I put the #1 guard on the clippers and went over it. Again she was furious. The same comments as before. To me, it is my hair; I'm the one that has to fix it and wear it. But to Amy she is the one that has to look at it and she would like my hair to be soemthing that is attractive to her.

I love my hair. It is short and cool in the southern summer heat (99 today and 100 tomorrow in the Memphis area). I have received comments from both sides--some like it and others don't. Here are some pictures of me and my hair as it looks today (I took these on my cell phone camera so they are not the best pictures). I would love to hear what you think. And I promise not to mention what you say when Amy and I next continue our conversation about my hair.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I don't like it! That is my opinion though!

Anonymous said...

Keep it! Yeah, your hair before may have looked a little better, but this is a good medium between comfort and looks. imho.

Matt Bogard

Paul Ford said...

Hey Mack, It's been a while since I've seen you or checked you blog. Been missing seeing you and Amy though. BTW - I like your hair, but more than that, I like your method of hair cutting. ;) I've been "trimming" my hair with the #1 clipper for years now - and each time, it gets easier and quicker for some reason. ;) ha! Take Care,