Thursday, November 29, 2007

SEC Football Reflections

Well, Bama did lose this past weekend. Oh well! I can't say that I am completely surprised considering the way the team has been playing recently.

On the other hand there were two things that have completely surprised me in the SEC recently. First, Arkansas beat LSU! I would have never predicted that. I thought for sure that LSU was going to come out focused and take care of business knowing that losing would end their national championship hopes. Let me say for the record that I hate the overtime system in college football. It may work well for other conferences and teams in the NCAA, but not the SEC. Every season there multiple games that go 3+ overtime periods in SEC play (both games LSU has lost this year were 3+ overtime loses). The SEC teams beat each other up and are just too good. Giving teams the ball on the 25 yard line practically guarantees a score each possession. I don't know that they need to play a whole overtime period equal to a regular quarter of play, but I do believe some kind of timed overtime period that is fully played (no sudden death) is what is needed. Maybe something in the eight to ten minute range with fourth quarter rules applying. Each team could receive 2 timeouts. If the game is still tied at the end of the overtime period, then allow the game to end in a tie. Ties could be factored into the BCS and would definately make the current system even more interesting (although I am also for a playoff system-but that is another post for another time).

Second, living in Arkansas I have constantly heard the dissatisfaction with coach Nutt and the desire of the fans to have a new head coach. There were some that doubted the U of AR would let him go since he just signed an extension (before this season if I remember correctly). Also, all he has done is win at the U of AR. He has not been a bad coach with a losing record. So, I was surprised when he resigned from the Razorbacks and headed to Oxford, MS to be the new head coach at Ole Miss. People around here are glad he is gone. I will be very interested next season when the AR-Ole Miss game comes up on the schedule. That rivalry will now be more intensive than ever.

No comments: