Friday, November 14, 2008

Tutoring

Since leaving Wonder City last December I have not been as involved in direct ministry. Although I am still teaching and preaching, I am not doing these activities on a set regular basis. My ministry has been more through developing new relationships and helping out where needed.

Yesterday, I started attending “1 Up” as a tutor to elementary age kids. “1 Up” is Memphis Urban Ministry’s after-school tutoring program in the downtown community. This program was started earlier this school year. Although, I am needed, this will now become a regular part of my ministry with MUM post Wonder City.

I enjoyed yesterday. Although different from the after-school program we had at Wonder City, it was good to hang out with the kids and help them with their homework and subjects where they need to improve. Yesterday, I was helping Tameesha, a kindergartner, with matching and phonics. Her phonics homework involved looking at a picture, saying what it was, and writing the letter that made the final sound in the word (ex. one picture was of a fan and she needed to write the letter “n”). No matter what word I used to indicate the final, last, end sound of the word, Tameesha kept saying the beginning sound of the word. Eventually she got the hang of what she was supposed to be doing and finished her homework quickly.

So far “1 Up” is enjoying success. Yesterday the student brought their second report cards. All the students were able to improve at least one letter grade in most of their subjects. I don’t remember any student who had an “F” on their report card for this previous grading period. I believe this is due to the quality of volunteer tutors our Outreach Minister, Dorn, has put together and the one on one tutoring the students have been receiving two days a week. SAY YES! at Wonder City didn’t enjoy this level of success for a couple of reasons: 1) only one day a week and 2) 5 students to one mentor/tutor. I hope and pray that God will continue to allow us to see this level of success at “1 Up.”

No comments: