Monday, July 09, 2007

NACC, Live from KC


Last week I attended the North American Christian Church Convention in Kansas City. This was probably been the best convention that I have ever attended. The Independent Christian Churches know how to do a convention. I learned so much from the classes. Even the exhibitors were great. I gained so much from them, including some new ideas to try in urban ministry.

However, the largest benefit from being there last week was the personal renewal. It was good just to be away from the daily routine of ministry, the pressures, the tasks, the crisis, and spend some time being fed. I came to the conference ready to leave full-time paid ministry. I was ready to transition to another career (I have been thinking education). However, even after the opening session on Tuesday evening I was hearing God’s call on my life to stay in ministry.

The amazing thing behind all of this is, that a few weeks ago, I started sharing with Amy about changing careers and investigating what it would take to get a non-traditional certification to teach Jr. and Sr. High Social Studies and History. She responded by saying something about my stress level and even burnout, having carried the load at Wonder City alone for the past 11 months. I don’t remember her exact words, but whatever they were it was not what I wanted to hear. I did not get the supportive wife that I was looking for. I wanted her to say, “Honey, if that is what you believe God is calling you to, then I will support you one-hundred percent. How can I help you?” Now I believe she was probably right (as much as I hate to admit that). In fact, there have been several times throughout our marriage that I believe she has been closer to the heart of God and in tune with what God wanted for us than I was. (For those of you who don’t know that is a hard fact for a pastor to accept).

I know that I will be right back where I was at in a very short time if two things don’t change. First, and most importantly, I have to change. I have to return home and do some things differently. There are many things that I have the ability to change, which have the potential to affect my sanity and stability in ministry. If I return to West Memphis and don’t do things differently then how can expect a different result. I have heard the definition of insanity as doing the same things over and over again expecting a different result. If I want something different, then I must do something different. And I want something different.

Second, I do need ministry help at Wonder City (and soon)! No matter how many things I change, ministry (and especially urban ministry) is not meant to be done alone. Jesus surrounded himself with twelve disciples. When he sent them out he didn’t send them out alone. He sent them two by two (Mark 6:7). I need my ministry partner. Thankfully, God has recently sent a couple of prospects my (our) way that I have engaged at various levels, for different roles at Wonder City. It is my hope that God will actually provide one of these individuals (if not two or more).

Thank you, Father, for this time of renewal and reflection. May you continue to bless me and Wonder City.

1 comment:

Bob, Sarah, and Miriam Logsdon said...

Great. I am looking forward to talking on the phone about the change and minister prospects. Grace and peace, brother.
Bob