Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Uplift

This week I am at Uplift (a Christian camp at Harding University; ) with teens from Wonder City and Missouri Street. It has been 11 years since I was last at Uplift. I came last (and for the first time) back in 1996 when I was a summer intern in south Arkansas. It was the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college. I only brought 3 kids with me. This time it is a little different. Wonder City has 17 youth here this week. Combined with the MOST group there are over 70 teens and sponsors here. Needless to say, things are a little different.

However, our teens are having a blast. They are loving the free time and learning a lot. Like other youth groups we have had our nuckelhead moments. But it has been stuff that has been realatively minor.

However, the best part about Uplift so far has been the connection to the teens. Kyle (Missouri Street youth minister) told me several times about how it is the best thing he does all summer because of the way kids open up and talk about the junk in their lives and the sins they are struggling with during this week. I have been amazed at how true that has been with the Wonder City kids as well. This week (so far) at least three students have shared deeply with me from their hearts about stuff going on. This is stuff that they have NEVER shared with anyone else. Additionally, the kids have been sharing their angers and other emotions they don't get to share back at home. It has truly been a blessed week.

I have lots of pictures to upload when I get home and will share some of those and further reflections later this week.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Glad you are having a good week. I am sad we weren't able to chaperone with you! Enjoy and if you see any of our friends, thell they we send our love and hello! Love ya and hope you had a great 30th!!!

Rachel said...

So---how did the week turn out?

Mack McF. said...

The week turned out ok. We had several incidents in the week that soured the trip. However, I still think the time was good because of the positive things that I wrote about. I still plan on putting more information and pictures on the blog. Check back later for those.