Monday, June 05, 2006

A Divine Appointment

On the way back (5/21) from a conference in California, I had to fly from L.A. to Atlanta (a long flight I don’t recommend). I sat next to an older gentleman and his wife who were traveling to Rome. We got to talking and I told him I was on my way home from a conference in Azusa. He was slightly puzzled. I told him about Urban Youth Workers Institute—a conference for those who were doing religious based urban youth work. He inquired whether I was involved with youths in gangs. “Yes,” I replied. At this point he revealed that he was a prosecutor, and he had prosecuted some gang members. What he relayed next continues to stick with me: he added that what I was doing (thus also others who are involved in the same work) is where the real and lasting difference is going to be made.

In other words, if real change is going to come about in our cities, it must involve the work of the church and blood of Jesus. All the government programs in the world may help, but they are missing the key “ingredient” that can sustain lasting change. In that moment I was extremely proud. What a huge privilege that God has allowed me to be apart of this ministry. Yet, I also felt overwhelmed. What a huge responsibility! There is so much work to be done. Jesus said it this way, “When he saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, "The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few. Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into his harvest field” (Mt. 9:36-38; NIV). If the church is the answer to the problems in our city, the change this prosecutor was pointing towards will only come about if we all answer Jesus’ call to go into the harvest field. Will you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»