Tuesday, January 17, 2006

It Broke My Heart

An event, during last Wednesday night’s Bible Class, reminded me how much work there is to do in our community. Two brief facts to help you visualize what happened. First, our store-front church is next door to a laundry mat (we highly discourage bringing laundry to do during church, but it happens from time to time). Second, the way our “building” is laid out the teenage (jr high and high school) class is right by the “front” door.

Sue (not her real name) is a single mother with three children (6, 3 and less than a year.) Sue herself is no older than 20 years. Last Wednesday she brought laundry to do during church. So during class, she is back and forth between the laundry mat. Each time she is carrying her infant daughter and her 3 year-old son is walking behind her. Upon returning the last time she opens the door to the building about half-way or less and enters the building with a bag of clean laundry on her shoulder. Her son is trailing far enough behind her that the door shuts before he enters the building. Instead of stopping and letting him in, Sue keeps walking and says, “Bye.” The child is outside and crying. One of our teens gets up, opens the door, and picks up the child.

I was very disturbed by what I saw and it broke my heart. I spoke with a couple of our leaders after church about how best to address the situation (after all I am a “rich” married white male with no children, and she is a poor, African-American, single mother). They suggested that since I was the one who witnessed the event that I speak to Sue and tell her that this could not happen again. When I went and spoke to Sue, her response to me was, “He didn’t come in.” This child is 3 years-old and in her mind he is already responsible for himself.

Not only are the gospel and the grace and forgiveness of God desperately needed in this situation, but so much more. Parenting classes are just a start. But more than that, hope is needed. You see, Sue is hopeless. She displays it in all of her actions. She rarely has a smile on her face. She often walks with her head down. She has not finished school (I’m not even sure she made it to high-school). She does not have a job. She is the victim of sexual abuse. There is no life in Sue. Sue has no hope. No hope breaks my heart. It breaks God’s heart.

Pray for Sue and her family.

No comments: