Sunday, February 03, 2008

Where does the time go?

Wow! February 3rd. One twelth of 2008 is gone. Where does the time go? It is amazing how quickly time flies even when one is not working full-time. After finishing my ministry at Wonder City at the end of the year, I have taken some time off from ministry for some much needed refreshment and renewal. One of the blessings and curses of this past month was being able to worship wherever we choose on Sunday. We have visited various churches and experienced some different styles of worship. It was a blessing to be able to worship and not have any responsibility for what is happening-just to be there and be able to worship. As someone who is the process of planting a church recently wrote it is the difference of attending worship verses doing worship. The down side of it was that Amy and I were basically visitors in a number of churches over the past month. There was no connection with those we were worshiping with. We were not really a part of that particular body. There was a vertical connection, but no horizontal connection. I have learned the value in being connected to a body of believers.

Being on this time of renewal and refreshment is not to say that I have been sitting at home doing nothing. (Despite what Amy may think-I only took one nap this past week.) I have been doing some work around the house. I have also already "started" my new job as Director of Development for Memphis Urban Ministry. Although I have not officially started the job, I am working 2-3 days a week from home; attending meetings, scheduling appointments, and doing whatever else I need to get done. This week I will be geting a mailing out, working on a document for the MUM staff meeting (Tuesday), and attending a couple of meetings. This coming Sunday Amy and I will reengage our leadership roles in the urban churches in Memphis-churches where we have both vertical and horizontal connections.

On a lighter note, the SuperBowl is tonight. New York vs. New England. I am going to enjoy the game, and in the first time in a couple of years not care who wins or loses. I would love to see history made and the Patriots go 19-0 humbling the '72 Dolphins. Even as I have been sitting here watching the pre-game this afternoon Fox has interviewed several members from the '72 Miami team and they have said they are actively looking for someone to beat the Patriots. On the other had, I would love to see Eli and the Giants win. I would love to see the underdog pull it out. My prediction is that New England will win by 10-14 points. Kickoff is now less than 30 minutes away, so I guess the outcome will be final in about 4 hours or so. For Amy, she is just glad football will be over!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I LOVE that the Giants won!!! Didn't you know the Giants had a previous Bison playing for them. You should have been rooting for them for that reason alone! Tank Daniels has played in the NFL for two yrs since he graduated from HU. Way to go Tank and the Giants!

Love you!