Thursday, August 23, 2007

Paying Attention

This week I have had several people asking me what happened to my head (I have sore right in the middle of my forehead). Sunday afternoon I was in Kroger picking up a few grocery items. I had just come from playing basketball with a group of friends from church. I was hot, sweaty, and very tired. One of the items that I needed was on the next to bottom shelf and on the back of the shelf. When I bent over to pick one up I banged my head on an impulse buy rack attached to the edge of the shelf a couple shelves up. It was clear hard plastic and I didn’t even see it until after it was too late. My head started bleeding and I quickly got what I needed and checked out. I was very thankful no employee asked me if I was ok, asked to fill out an incident report, or sign something stating I would not sue.

However, this got me thinking about how often I (and others) don’t pay attention. I can’t tell you how many times in a week I say the expression “if it was a snake it would have bit me/you” about an object right under my or someone else’s nose.

What I wonder most about is the number of things that God puts right under our nose that we miss. How many opportunities to practice some form of Christian service because we are only focused on ourselves, where we are going, and we have to get done? How many opportunities to share an encouraging word with a brother or sister who is down? How many opportunities to serve someone in need? How many opportunities to share Jesus with a non-believer? I truly hope that we are not so focused on ourselves that these missed opportunities come back to bite us (Matthew 25:31-46).

No comments: